- To maintain desired length and shape, use an emery board. Scissors can cause flaking.
- Always use Mavala Emery Boards. Metal files can weaken the tips of nails and cause flaking.
- Stroke from the outside edge to the centre of the nail. Never "saw" back and forth. Filing nails deeply into corners weakens them and allows them to break more easily.
- Trimming cuticles with scissors leads to hardening and thickening. Remove excess cuticle tissue and roll back cuticles regularly with Cuticle Remover and a Manicure Stick wrapped with cotton wool.
- Follow directions for Mavala Scientifique carefully. If used too often, it may cause nails to become too hard and brittle and therefore more breakable. In case of contact with skin, a cut or a scratch immediately wipe off with a dampened cotton pad.
- To keep nails from becoming stained from chemicals, dyes in nail polish, and other external factors, always protect the nail plate with Mavala 002 double action base or moisturizing Barrier-Base for delicate nails.
- Be sure that each coat of enamel is thoroughly dry before proceeding with the next coat. Improper drying between coats causes smudging and peeling.
- Always dry carefully your nails and hands after washing them. It will prevent them from chapping.
- Wear gloves when using water, detergents, cleaning products or chemicals.
- As with the skin, cold weather and over-exposure to sun will dry out hands and nails leading to brittle nails and rough skin. UV-rays may cause pigmentation spots.
- Perform a manicure once a week and apply Mavala Hand Cream every night.
Why nail polish is flaking ?
- Nail surface has not been clean enough.
- Consistency of nail polish is too thick. Add a few drops of Thinner before application and shake well the bottle.
- Nail polish is applied in too thick coats.
- The second coat has been applied before the first was completely dry.
- For a perfect adherence of nail polish, flaking nails have to be treated before.
- Always use a MAVALA base coat and then apply nail polish in two thin coats.
- Protect nail polish with a coat of Colorfix reinforced with acryl.
How to erase errors, stains of nail polish ?
A Manicure Stick wrapped with cotton wool dampened with Mild Nail Polish Remover is the traditional method, but the Mavala Corrector for nail polish is particularly recommended in that case.
How to apply uniformly nail polish ?
First of all, be sure that nail polish has the correct consistency. If it is too thick, add a few drops of Thinner. Apply nail polish in long strokes, avoid brush short strokes. The second coat should cover light areas or empty zones which have not been covered by the first coat.
How to open a stuck bottlecap ?
Who has never struggled against a stuck bottle cap ? Most of the people have the same reaction to this unpleasant situation, they immerse the bottle in hot water, shake it or hit it on a table. These methods are very unappropriate as the bottle may break and endanger your nails. The simplest idea is to wrap the cap of the bottle with a rubber band. The result is astonishing, your bottle will open simply without any effort.